The Center's annual maintenance workshop is held each fall at locations around Pennsylvania. The Workshop typically attracts up to 200 attendees from a variety of entities involved in low volume road maintenance. The Workshop features invited speakers, concurrent classroom sessions, and field trips to active and completed road sites to view the implementation of ESM practices.
2019 Annual Maintenance Workshop
The Center for Dirt and Gravel Roads will host the 2019 Dirt, Gravel and Low Volume Roads Annual Maintenance Workshop at the Toftrees Resort and Conference Center, State College PA. The Workshop will focus on proven environmentally sensitive road maintenance practices for dirt, gravel and low-volume paved roads. Both the Huntingdon and Centre County Conservation Districts have opened up their counties and projects to help host our event and field trips. It promises to be an exciting workshop you will not want to miss. A golf outing will be offered (separate cost) if there is enough interest on Tuesday evening, September 24th. Please fill out the Doodle Poll if you are interested by August 12th.
We will offer several events this year for different groups:
Tuesday, September 24th - All activities are optional.
- Conservation Districts will have options of an Administrative Training in the morning, and a GIS training or a DSA-focused field trip in the afternoon.
- Municipality Day is a day-long field tour of workshop sites aimed at local municipalities.
- All are invited to an Ice Breaker with vendors under the stars, with a BBQ and fun outdoor games.
Wednesday, September 25th
- Conservation Districts & Others:
- Concurrent Classroom Sessions and Invited Speakers on a Variety of Topics (AM)
- Choose from three Field Trips to Visiting Huntingdon and Centre Counties (PM)
- DCNR Forestry ESM Attendees: Day one of the DCNR ESM training will be held at the Penn Stater Conference Center.
- All are invited:
- Vendor Reception: Face-to-face vendor time with appetizers
- Annual Banquet: "Penn State Tailgate", complete with music, great food and prizes. Please wear your favorite sports team gear! 5th Annual Calendar Contest, "Best Road Projects, Before and After", winner announced at Award Banquet with 1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes to be awarded.
Thursday, September 26th
- Conservation Districts & Others: can choose one of the three field trips repeated from Wed afternoon, allowing anyone to see two out of three field trips during the workshop.
- DCNR Forestry ESM Attendees: will have their own tour of field sites to complete their 2-Day ESM Training.
- All are invited to a brief wrap-up session over lunch, workshop ends ~2pm.
$195 for all Dirt, Gravel and Low Volume Program affiliates attending the full Workshop: CDs, BOF, DEP, PennDOT, etc. (Includes registration costs, all meals, transportation, and all handout materials)
Lodging is not included in the registration fee. Please contact:
Toftrees Resort and Conference Center
1 Country Club Lane
State College, PA 16803
Group Code: "Dirt & Gravel Workshop" for $99/night rate - You will pay separate for your room(s).
Room block ends: August 23, 2019
Thank you for your interest in our 2019 Annual Dirt, Gravel and Low-Volume Roads Maintenance Workshop. We hope you will join us!
Please feel free to contact the Center at 814-865-5355 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
2018 Annual Maintenance Workshop
The 2018 Annual Workshop was held in September in Indiana, PA. It attracted over 100 municipal attendees and was attended by 49 out of PA’s 65 active Conservation Districts. The conference included concurrent classroom session on a variety of topics, as well as multiple field trips to many completed sites and the active installation of a 19’ aluminum plate arch stream pipe. The proceedings will be available soon under “past Workshop” below.
Past Annual Maintenance Workshops
The Center provides "proceedings" for each workshop that includes pictures, presentations, project handouts, and more. To access the proceedings from past workshops, select a year below.