To celebrate the 20th anniversary of Pennsylvania's Dirt, Gravel, and Low Volume Road Maintenance Program, the Center for Dirt and Gravel Road Studies at Penn State is sponsoring a Successes in Rural Road Maintenance and Ecology Symposium, to be held on Tuesday, April 4, 2017 from 9:00 am - 4:00 pm at the Flex Theater Auditorium, First Floor, HUB, Penn State, University Park, PA. The focus of the Program over the past 20 years had been to create a more environmentally and economically sustainable low-volume road network through education, outreach, and project funding. This symposium seeks to highlight some of those project successes and research related to sustainable rural road maintenance and ecology by bringing together road managers, academics, government employees, and the non-profit sector to share their stories and accomplishments. The Penn State community at large will be invited to participate, along with government agencies, other universities, and anyone with an interest in improving rural roads.
This one-day symposium will include a mix of keynote speakers and roundtable discussions, and will culminate with a poster session and reception from 2:30-4:00. It will be an open “walk-through” style poster session allowing presenter to openly engage with attendees. We encourage road managers, students and faculty of Penn State and other universities, and anyone working with rural roads to submit abstracts for our poster session that highlight either a road project or research related to rural roads and the environment.
To Register and/or submit your abstract, click the button below and complete the required fields. Questions may be directed to Eric Chase via email at email@example.com.
- Symposium Announcement (468 KB): The official announcement and call for abstracts for the poster session.
- 9:00 - 12:00 – Keynote Speakers and Plenary Presentations
- 12:00 - 1:00 – Lunch
- 1:15 - 2:30 – Panel Discussion
- 2:30 - 4:00 – Poster Session and Reception
Directions, Parking, & Hotel Information
Hetzel Union Building (HUB)
1 Pollack Road
University Park, PA 16802
(see map at the bottom of the page)
Parking for the HUB
- HUB Parking Deck
- $1 hour
- Off Shortledge Road
- Eisenhower Parking Deck
- 1 Eisenhower Road, University Park, PA 16802: Directions
- Hilton Garden Inn State College
- 1221 East College Avenue, State College, PA 16801: Directions
- Fairfield Inn & Suites State College
- 2215 North Atherton Street, State College, PA 16801: Directions
- Nittany Lion Inn
- 200 W. Park Ave, State College, PA 16803: Directions