The Program's Quality Assurance / Quality Control (QA/QC) process is a joint effort between Program, Center, and DEP staff to assess the functionality the Dirt and Gravel Road Program within individual Conservation Districts. The process involves a full-day visit to each district with the majority of the time being spent visiting projects in the field. The purpose of the visit is to identify areas for improvement within the District and the Program, and to share successful strategies between Districts.
The QA/QC effort visits individual conservation districts to assess their implementation of the Dirt, Gravel, and Low Volume Road Maintenance Program. The two or three day visit is conducted by SCC, Center, and DEP staff and focuses on areas of administration, functionality, and project implementation. The following is an outline of what to expect for a typical QA/QC visit. More details can be found in the reference documents below.
Before QA/QC visit
The District will be asked to:
- Submit several project files for an administrative review.
- Submit itemized administration and education/training expenses for review.
- Arrange interviews with any staff involved in the program as well as all QAB members.
- Invite the District Board members to attend if they wish.
- Review the GIS system information and make sure it is up to date and accurate.
- Review the previous QAQC report and be prepared to discuss how the recommendations and required actions were addressed.
- Contact municipalities in your county to have them be involved in the QAQC process.
During the QA/QC visit (Day 1)
QA/QC team will:
- Interview any QAB and staff involved in the Program.
- Discuss any items of note from pre-visit file and financial review.
- Discuss how the program is being implemented locally and provide assistance with any problems or concerns.
- Time permitting, conduct in the field site reviews.
During the QA/QC visit (Day 2 & 3 for larger funded counties)
- Utilize as much of the day as necessary to conduct in the field site reviews. The plan is to visit completed projects, under construction projects, contracted projects, and potential sites. The majority of the QAQC visit will be geared towards in the field site visits.
- Provide an informal overview of the findings of the QAQC team.
- Provide time for questions and answers.
After the QA/QC Visit
The SCC will prepare a preliminary report and provide it to the District in a timely manner.
The SCC will conference call with the District to discuss the report and get any comments. An in person meeting can be arranged if the District prefers.
SCC will incorporate District comments into final report. The final report will be sent to the District and the District Board of Directors.
All documents in pdf form unless otherwise noted.
Pre Visit Letter: Brief overview of the Program's QA/QC effort that visits individual conservation districts to evaluate the effectiveness of the Program in each county.
Preliminary Report Round 3 (44.4 KB): Blank Preliminary Report used at a template for each QAQC.
District Board Invite Letter: Letter sent to the chairman of the Conservation District Board of Directors inviting them to participate in the QAQC.
Hard File Review Form (18.6 KB): Form used by the Commission when conducting a file review.
File Spending Review Spreadsheet (19.4 KB): Form used by the Commission when conducting a file review. (Microsoft Excel file)
Project Expense Tracker Spreadsheet (13.9 KB): Form to be completed by the District for each of the 3 files requested for review by the commission. This form is used to itemize all grant expenditures. (Microsoft Excel file)
QAB Interview Checklist (79.5 KB): Questions asked during QAB interviews.
New District Staff Interview Checklist (89.4 KB): Questions asked during a QAQC when the Staff member is new to the program and has not participated in a previous QAQC.
Existing District Staff Interview Checklist (88.2 KB): Questions asked during a QAQC when the Staff member has been involved in the program for some time and was also involved in the previous QAQC.
Municipal Interview Checklist (66 KB): Form used during the interviews with Municipal Officials.
QAQC Project Evaluation (57.7 KB): Form used by the Center for Dirt and Gravel Road Studies to evaluate each project.
QAQC Project Notes (72.7 KB): Form used by the Center for Dirt and Gravel Road Studies during project evaluations.
Project Hard File Checklist: A checklist of the items that should be included in a projects contract hard file.
Project Narrative: Form to describe problems being addressed along with a project summary for a given contract.
Project Timeline: Form to record various payment/date information for a given contract.
Pre Application Checklist: A checklist of the items that should be considered prior to receiving an application.
Pre Construction Checklist: A checklist of the items that should be considered prior to beginning construction.
QAQC Docs (1.19 MB): All above documents in a downloadable zip file.